Seiten

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Spicy Breakfast Rice with Walnuts, Pistachios and Raisins

 

Spicy Breakfast Rice with Walnuts, Pistachios and Raisins

I like to make some spicy breakfast dish from left over rice, and today this was what crossed my mind. Red rice, rose and red pepper salt, cardamom, cinnamon, pistachios, walnuts, raisins and cranberries and some dried green olives.
When I cook rice, I don't add salt so that I'm free to decide for rice pudding if the mood strikes.
That's very rare, though, usually I want something spicy. Or something spicy with a little sweetness added, like a tablespoon of raisins and dried cranberries.
For the salt, I used a spanish sea salt scented with dried and ground rose petals and mixed with red pepper. Fell free to use any kind of salt, or other spices.
Of course just some rice, even whole grain red rice, is not enough for me for a full breakfast, so it went along with a boiled egg, two slices of goat's cheese, some slices of cucumber and some date tomatoes.



Ingredients for the rice for 1 person:
  • cooked rice, ca. 1/2 cup (about 50 g uncooked I suppose)
  • 1 tablespoon walnut halves, broken into pieces
  • 1/2 tablespoon pistachios
  • 1/2 tablespoon raisins
  • 1/2 tablespoon dried cranberries
  • 1/2 tablespoon dried olives, optional
  • 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8-1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil

Preparation:
  • In a hot skillet, toast walnut pieces and pistachios until lightly browned and fragrant, set aside
  • Gently fry the rice in 1 teaspoon coconut oil, then add salt, spices, nuts, raisins and cranberries and olives, if using, heat through and serve with eggs, cheese, vegetables as you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment