Gluten-free Dairy-free Spicy Cheesecake-Bites
Before I went gluten free, I actually hated cheesecake, because it made me incredibly sick.
Then, two years ago, I made some terrific gluten free cupcakes with cream cheese topping - and they did not only taste wonderful, but totally agreed with me. The begin of a wonderful new friendship between me and cheesecake ...
One day, I actually wanted to make some fruit and spice cupcakes with spicy cream cheese topping. I put together the topping and then ran out of time - and all of a sudden the idea popped into my head to just make the topping, without the cupcakes.
I added some flour, poured the batter into cupcake tins and baked them.
They turned out fantastic!
Maybe because of the heart shaped tins.
Depending on how big your cupcake tins are, you'll get about 12-15 bites out of this recipe.
12-15 bites of joy, that is.
- 4 ounces cream cheese (this works with "normal" cream cheese, vegan cream cheese and goat's milk cream cheese)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons chunky applesauce (equals about 1/2 peeled, cored and chopped cooked apple)
- 5 dates, pureed (chop and simmer with 2 -4 tablespoons water until mushy)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- Chop dates and simmer with 2-4 tablespoons water until completely mushy (the amount of water depends on how tough the dates are); let cool completely
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C
- Sift together cornstarch, rice flour and spices
- Cream together cream cheese, egg, apple sauce, date puree and maple syrup
- Fold flour mixture into cream cheese mixture
- Pour batter into lightly greased cupcake tins or non-stick silicon cupcake tins, about 1 inch of batter per tin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
- Let cool in cupcake tins until only slightly warm, then remove and let cool completely or devour warm!
Makes 12-15 cheesecake-bites, depending on the size of your cupcake tins.
Do you prefer crustless cheesecake or cheesecake with crust?