Seiten

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Gluten-free Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies


Gluten-Free Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

I was in a hurry and just wanted to make a small batch of cookies because I was out of cookies and wanted to have some.
So it happened that, just quickly throwing together what came into my mind, I made the best cookies I've ever invented. I still can't believe it myself, but they are fabulous.
DH said "five stars!" after popping one into his mouth, and that means he finds them outstanding. Which does not happen too often with cookies.

They are not your usual chocolate chip cookie, first, because they do not have regular chocolate chips, but cocoa nibs.
Of course you can use regular choc chips, but believe me, it won't be the same. But it's up to you.
Second, I used coconut flour in them.
I am a huge fan of coconut flour because it's low carb, tastes awesome if you like coconut, and has a lot of good protein.
It just is not really great to bake with.
I mean, yeah, there are lots of recipes going bananas over the great taste, texture, consistency of coconut flour cakes and cookies, but honestly - I've never had a coconut flour cookie which wasn't either dry or egg-y, if it was only or mostly coconut flour.
The key to baking with coconut flour is using not too much of it in a recipe. Unless you want egg cookies or cake.

Evidently being in a hurry makes me think more quickly. I had circled around the perfect amount of coconut flour in cookies for several weeks already, and now I just thought: Okay, just don't use too much of it.

This is what happened:



Ingredients for 32 small soft cookies (1/2 tablespoon of dough each):
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
  • 1/4 cup coconut four
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
  • 1/4 cup soy flour
  • 1/2 cup certified gluten free oat flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
  • 1/8 cup erythritol with stevia (truvia) or xylitol or sugar (feel free to use more sweetener if you want very sweet cookies)
  • 4 teaspoons coconut sugar or raw cane sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 medium egg
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa nibs or chocolate chips
  • 1-4 tablespoons cold water

Preparation:
  • Melt the coconut oil.
  • In a bowl, combine flours, baking powder, erythritol (truvia) or sugar and coconut or raw cane sugar.
  • Stir in cocoa nibs or chocolate chips.
  • Rub in melted oil.
  • Add egg, knead into soft dough, adding tablespoons of water as needed to get a soft, but not sticky dough.
  • Preheat oven to 320°F (160°C) if you have a convection oven or to 350°F (180°C) if it's not a convection oven.
  • Line cookie sheet with non stick paper and use 1/2 tablespoon measuring spoon to place 32 half rounds onto the cookie sheet.
  • Bake for 10-12 minutes (mine took 12 minutes).
  • Let sit on cookie sheet for 5 more minutes after removing from oven, then let cool completely on a wire rack.


Enjoy!


Have you tried using cocoa nibs before?

No comments:

Post a Comment